Yesterday I celebrated my 33rd birthday! I sent a text to one of my friends and told her that 33 felt pretty good!!! Sometimes I think about getting "old" and it seems a bit scary, but mostly I have learned to embrace the life God has given me and enjoy every minute. Thought I would reminisce about a few things that have happened this past year in my life (keeping this list as brief as possible):
- In June of last year my dad was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the base of tongue and into his lymph nodes. This completely changed my life!
- In June/July, Sam was gone 2 separate whole weeks for camp once and youth conference another and I survived with 5 kids all by myself!!!
- In August I started my 2nd year of homeschooling, this time adding Landon in K5, Bryson started 2nd grade. I had no idea what this school year was going to hold...
- In September Sam resigned his position at Tabernacle because he had a pretty promising position at another church, however that fell through. God had much BIGGER plans for us!!!!
- In November we moved in with my parents while Sam continued his job search. I started working part time/seasonal for Gymboree, which has become permanent since and I enjoy very much.
- In December dad had a PET scan after he completed his radiation/chemo treatments and told that the cancer had responded some but was still present. Also, we were blessed with a bountiful Christmas for our kids, thanks to some wonderful people!!!
- In January we joined a small group at church. Couldn't imagine then how important this great group of people would become in my life. I have been so challenged and encouraged by them all.
- In February my new niece was born into this world and I became an aunt for the first time! Love Adam & Latosha, and just wish they lived closer to us. I also started a 8 week study
- In March, we surprised the kids with a couple days away at Great Wolf Lodge. We had a fabulous time and were so glad that God provided for us to go. Dad had another PET scan near the middle of the month that confirmed the cancer was definitely there and growing! Sam received a phone call from Harvest Bible Fellowship to start the interview process.
- In April dad had some major setbacks with his health that led him to choose no more treatments. Now, I have the privilege to help care for him. We also enjoyed a quick visit from my brother, sister in law and new niece. I loved meeting her and enjoyed getting to know my sister in law even better.
So, I guess the last year has been pretty crazy! Some days I just wake up and think, will my life ever be "normal" again, or is this the new normal? Seriously, I thank God everyday for His blessings on me. I have an awesome, Godly husband who has a burning desire in his heart to passionately serve God. I have 5 beautiful, healthy children who bring much excitement to my life. I have 2 parents who love me and have given us a place to live and an opportunity to serve them in a way that I never thought. I have great friends who have literally become like family to me over the last year. I will have to say that I can't imagine what God has in store for me this year....but really can it get more exciting than this?